Thursday, May 5, 2011

last couple of days

We went on a couple drives to the northern most part of the island, on the compact road that I mentioned earlier.
Today we shared the beachfront with other people.  I had a hard time staying awake most of the day. It probably would have been better to rent the car for a three day stretch, since we're trying to make good use of the car while we have it, but it probably would have been better to have a break between some of this sight-seeing activity. We have the car for one more day, we may go to a snorkel spot we found about 10 miles from here. I'll miss the car... the distances in town don't seem like much, but I find getting around here exhausting.



We did have a dining adventure last night. I wanted to try a Chinese restaurant and E agreed, reluctantly. He told me it wasn't going to be like U.S. Chinese restaurants and he was partly right... I ordered a pepper steak and it was good, but he ordered some kind of chicken and the chicken was cut up in one inch pieces & fried with bones in. The chopping process resulted in some rather sharp pieces of bone in the meat. I tried to eat a couple pieces, but it was too hard to pick out the bone, and it seemed to dangerous to eat with the bone... I'm wondering how the Chinese diners handle the bones... do they eat them??
I guess we're going to stick with E's list of tried and true places from now on.



The sun set while we were still driving around in the countryside today and I saw many bats flying about. The frogs go into their nightly chorus every night.  It didn't rain here tonight yet, it has rained every evening since we've been here. It did rain where we were today. We left the beach for the open air dining room and had afternoon drinks while it rained.



I mentioned the three little one pounder kitties there, but I forgot to mention the cockatoo they have. He puts his head down for you to scratch the back of his head when you come near the cage. He had a coconut that was opened and he was busy picking pieces of that out, and then dropping some for the chickens who were walking around underneath his cage.

We went to the National museum. E. ended up talking with a Palauan for a long time and I toured the museum.. I was fascinated with little narrative accounts that were along a stairwell from elders remembering the day that the world war 2 came to their country on March 30, 1944.

It is endlessly amazing to me that people sailed and traded with people from the many little pacific islands centuries ago. It boggles the mind.
so many things to google, and such a limited internet connection....

3 comments:

  1. Luscious photos--thank you! I LOVE hearing what you and Edward are doing!

    Have you put a palm tree (or three) in your journal? I don't suppose you brought along pastels for that?

    P.S. how do you say "hello" in Paulauan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so lush and green...
    Love seeing you there under the trees
    Makes it seem real..so far away

    No Starbucks you say?
    How about tropical fruit drink bars..it just looks like you should have one in your hand...

    v

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are beautiful - certainly looks tropical and I can almost feel the humidity!!!

    ReplyDelete