Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kayangel

After the hike to the waterfall, I was actually feeling an increase in the out-in-the-boat up & down motion, so when E suggested the day trip to the far northern island of Kayangel, I told him to go ahead without me, because I was hoping the feeling would pass. (It was ridiculous, I had to lean against the wall in the shower and hold onto the table while making a cup of soup.)

He seems to have a personal "need" to have made a footprint/ seen every island and I believe Angaur is the only one at this point he still hasn't been. The trip involved a ride to a pier in the northern most peninsula on Babledaob and boarding a boat there. E felt right at home in Kayangel, as the boat docked near the JFK school- built in 1964 by the Peace Corps. He saw at least one child wearing a t shirt with an American flag on it. (This kind of thing always warms his heart.)  Kayangel is a beach beauty spot.

Part of the trip involved fishing for their lunch. Although he didn't catch anything, he mentioned eating a trigger fish.. and was happy about that. Normally he doesn't eat fish, but uber-fresh fish is an exception.  He mentioned jumping off a 20 ft. pier, after the Japanese guide, Osaka san, did so, (and shouting "Bonzai!" after asking them if it was okay with them for him to do so.)  Part of the day trip also included snorkeling, (and dive BS-- he told the guide he had seen 5 hammerhead sharks..)

  The only part of the whole trip that had me feeling jealous, was his description of meeting one of the 138 residents of the island, a man named Lazarus (biblical names figure prominently here) who kept some fruit bats as pets. Lazarus served the small group (4 Japanese, 1 American, and 1 Palauan) coconut drinks. I would have liked to have seen/ possibly petted the fruit bats. Alternatively, E calls them flying foxes, so I really must google them for more information.

His pictures were compromised by some fog inside the watertight camera housing.. the camera is 6 megapixels, but it is basically just a point and shoot camera, and some of the conditions really seem to call for more elaborate camera settings.

1 comment:

  1. Fruit bats sound very interesting. I would have liked to have seen those, too, although the bats I've seen in Southern California didn't inspire me to pet them.

    I'm sure those cats must help entertain you. I'm sure they like you!

    Thanks for all the gorgeous photos--sorry about E's camera!

    ReplyDelete