Thursday, April 28, 2011

humidity is getting to me

I'm having a hard time with even the minimal walking around we're doing. The humidity is getting to me.  The temps run around 85 degrees, but with 85% humidity and the breezes are rare. You really have to be in peak physical fitness to enjoy it here... and being 20 years younger would also help..
 
We started the day with breakfast at the Rock Island Cafe. This place seems to be a favorite for locals and visitors. Decent meals, good prices and an old fashioned diner kind of ambience.
 
Then we walked a short but exhausting walk over to the Palauan Visitor Center and perused the materials in their little lobby. There were 2 chairs there, so we sat down for about 20 minutes to look at books. Then we went to a dollar store. I bought a couple things I thought would come in handy over the next month. 
 
Then we walked back.  A car stopped long enough at the side of the road for the guy inside to wave E over and pan handle him for $20!
I think E was caught off guard and gave him the money. The whole friendly American thing...
Left me with a bad feeling. It's impossible to blend into the milieu here, we stand out ripe for the picking...
 
Alternatively our room feels like both a retreat and a prison..  it is clean, and cool and spacious enough. But it's weird to be on an island and not be able to see or walk to the water's edge.
 
not a happy camper tonight.  Tomorrow we go out on a boat with snorkelers from Guam. I'm hoping they're more approachable than the Frenchies were. 
 
 
 
 
 
without being "on" ... all the gushing about "paradise" is taking a toll on me.   

7 comments:

  1. i love you! i order you to: slow it down, remember to breathe, keep on blogging and take a moment to know that you are missed and envied :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, humidity can be a VERY exhausting thing! We experienced that in Thailand. It was worse there than on our East Coast, or maybe I have forgotten how opressive it can be.

    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...on that humidity. I guess you get used to it. At least you have air conditioning. How far is it to walk to the beach??

    Thanks for the great updates here. It's like being with you...with all the ups and downs....

    love
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess paradise can be miserable. Probably being in the water is the most comfortable, or if there's ever a cool breeze. Don't feel like you have to enjoy every minute - that's not realistic. Remember that we're all here wondering how you are and we miss you!!!!! By the way, you showed amazing restraint by not touching the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm slow...what happens if you touch the shell? I say touch the shell, but just a tiny bit...just barely touch it...like a shadow. Good stories by the way. Jimmy Buffet always says; just another shitty day in paradise. Guess its true. Have fun anyway!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, I feel your pain. I cannot stand the humidity and sun combination. Are the temps always in the mid 80's daytime? I would feel so miserable in those conditions. All the beautiful scenery wouldn't be enough to get me through it. I'd probably be on the next plane home. Maybe if I was 25-30 I could handle it. Are you able to do any art at all or out of the mood? Good luck getting through the rest of the trip and keep up the stories. We all enjoy your descriptions even if they aren't happy moments for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, my brother (the one who past away) used to go to Christmas Island every year. He would put a chair in the water. Maybe you have a chair that would work for that?

    ReplyDelete